Thursday, May 16, 2013

30 for 30: Day 5

Had a little trouble seeking out opportunities to perform a RAOK today, so I hit up the ol' RAOK blog for some ideas.  One suggestion was to return a shopping cart to its proper place (the stall or back inside the store).  This is like one of my #1 pet peeves at the store - ESPECIALLY when someone abandons their cart one parking space away from the stall.  It irks me to no end.  The only time I even consider not returning the cart is if it's pouring down rain and I'm parked in the nethermost regions of the Costco parking lot with screaming children in the car.  I fail at most everything in life, but one thing I really excel at is returning shopping carts.

Anyway, I had a kidless evening to run some errands, so I decided to take my quest for a RAOK to the Costco parking lot.  I got there about 15 minutes before they closed and knew I could be in and out in less than 10 minutes (the beauty of kid-free shopping - I can get my entire errand done in the time it takes me to get everyone out of their carseat and inside the store).  With a couple of minutes to spare, I went back to the car, returned my cart and grabbed all the carts that were scattered about the section of the parking lot I was parked in.  I saw the Costco employee that was collecting the carts come out to the parking lot as I was finishing up.  There were still tons of carts everywhere that still needed to be collected, but I had another errand to run and didn't have time.  I doubt he even realized that I had cleared a section of the parking lot from abandoned carts, but that's okay.  It felt good to help out, even in such a small way.

Also - this might fall under the category of "wiping kids' butts" (a.k.a. things that shouldn't be counted as random acts of kindness), but I pushed Abby on the swing for 45 minutes at the park today.  And I really don't like pushing swings.  But how could I say no to a face like this?



No comments: