Tuesday, May 14, 2013

30 for 30: Day 3

Three days in and I already hit my first Random Act of Kindess that Failed.  It was a valiant attempt at a RAOK, but in the end, I just didn't end up being very helpful.

I called up a friend to wish her a happy birthday and thought, "What could I do to help this friend today?  A-ha!  I could watch her daughter at the park so she can have some time to herself to get stuff done".  I was totally patting myself on the back for arranging the perfect service opportunity.

HA!  I guess I forgot to think about possibilities such as, "What if this child doesn't like me and screams for twenty minutes straight after her mom leaves the park?".  Oops, definitely didn't see that one coming.  Try as I might, she wanted NOTHING to do with me.  Thankfully, an awesome mom friend of mine was at the park, too, and she scooped up the little girl and saved the day.  So, fail on my part, but the service was accomplished and the mom was thankful (and the little girl did eventually settle down and enjoy some downtime on the swings).

Another opportunity to watch a friend's child presented itself that day, so on the way home from the park, we picked up Thomas's little friend from her house and brought her over to our house to play.


Judging from the mess in the playroom, I think it's safe to say that the kids had fun together.  Since I'm usually homebound in the afternoon during nap time, it was nice to still be able to help someone out.



No comments: