Thursday, May 30, 2013

30 for 30: Day 19

We've lived in our house for over two years now.....and we barely know our neighbors.  Shame on us.  Other than the occasional  "hello!" when we see them outside, we've kind of been terrible about reaching out to them to get to know them.

No more!  We invited our next door neighbor over and had a great dinner and a lovely conversation with him.  He's an older, single man who has lived in his house for nearly three decades.  He fled WWII Greece as a young child and ended up seeking political asylum with his family in the northeastern United States.  He had such an interesting life and a truly, unique perspective (I mean, how many of us know WWII refugees?  Not that many any more), so to hear him talk about his childhood and coming to America was completely fascinating.  I want to know more people like him.  I want my children to know more people like him.  And I'm definitely kicking myself quite a bit now that we haven't invited him over sooner.  We'll definitely be making it a point to have him over more often!

No comments: