Wednesday, May 29, 2013

30 for 30: Day 18

Have you ever given a stranger a random compliment?  I try and do this as often as possible.  And I've found the best place to do this is the check-out line at the grocery store.

Does the cashier have a really cute pair of glasses?  I make sure and let her know.  Does the bagger have a really cool name on his name tag ?  I tell him so.  Why withhold a compliment?  I know I always feel a little bit better when someone says something nice to me.  Even if it's something as simple as, "hey - cute shoes!".  It always helps me lift my head a little higher and walk a little taller.  In fact, I was just discussing with a friend today how sometimes I will purposely dress nice on a day when I feel crappy because I'm counting on people complimenting me to help me feel better (high five, Jackie - great minds think alike).  Shallow?  Perhaps.  But it works.  Anyway.....

So, when I was at Costco today - with all three kids in tow - I found myself approaching the checkout line, groaning because there were a TON of people checking out at the same time as me.  But before I could get too grumpy about it, I remembered, "Hey!  This is COSTCO!  They get people through the lines quickly.  They are efficient and capable.  I'll be through the checkout line and out to the car in less than five minutes" (of course once I get to the car and get everyone settled in and all the groceries put away, that's like twenty more minutes...but I digress...).

Remembering how skilled the cashiers and "boxers" (no bags at Costco) are, I decided to let them know how thankful I was for how well they do their job.  They seemed a bit surprised by my praise - the cashier even laughed a little and said something like, "Well, it's not rocket science.  It's really easy to scan things..." - to which I replied, "No, no!  I've tried self-check out!  It's not as easy as it looks!"

Then she told me a secret.  Turns out self check-out is even screwy for the most skilled Costco employees.  Who knew?  So, don't think you are stupid if you have trouble working the self check-out.  They are fickle little things.  I felt about 95% better about myself after that conversation.  I always thought I was dumb because I suck at self check-out.

So we both left that little conversation feeling a little better about ourselves.  Win.

No comments: