Wednesday, May 22, 2013

30 for 30: Day 11

It was more missionary mail today!  I'm seeing a trend here.  It seems the days that everything gets hectic and things don't go as planned, I resort to writing notes or letters to people as my RAOK.  But everyone loves a good handwritten letter, right?  Goodness knows I do.

This time we were writing our beloved former baby-sitter and friend, Sister N.  Last fall when she was off at her first semester of college, we called her to wish her a happy 19th birthday.  Knowing that she was wanting to serve an LDS mission, we were both lamenting that she had two more years before she would be able to leave.  The very next day, she was sitting in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City when President Monson announced that the ages for missionaries would be lowered - sisters could serve at 19!  Let's not talk about how insanely jealous I was after that.  Let's just talk about how it was a birthday wish come true and how Sister N. was totally and completely prepared to go when the opportunity unexpectedly came.

A few short months later, we were with this same missionary and her family when she opened her call.  It was so awesome to be a part of that experience and memories of myself opening my own mission call flooded over me.  A few months after that, she was off.

Luckily, Caroline decided to (finally) be born two weeks before Sister N. left.  We were getting concerned there at the end, but decided it was highly unlikely that I'd still be pregnant at 44 weeks (thankfully, I wasn't).

We went to see her one last time the day before she took off.  We miss her bunches and bunches, but are so happy for her and the service she is giving as a missionary.  It's fun to have missionaries to write again!

No comments: