Tuesday, June 4, 2013

30 for 30: Day 24

I got a little over my head with today's random act of kindness!  Thank goodness for kind neighbors who are ready and willing to lend a helping hand.  It really does take a village sometimes!

I had offered up my services to an expectant friend of mine in town who was due any day with a baby. Our circle of friends is close - but shrinking!  So many wonderful people have been moving away.  Anyhow.....because of that, we are a little "short-staffed" when it comes to the emergency "oh-my-gosh-I'm-in-the-hospital-having-a-baby-and-need-someone-to-take-my-kids!!!!" department.  This particular friend was *positive* baby was going to hold out and wait for Grandma to show up from Korea.  As I'm quite familiar with, baby had plans of her own.  She wanted to already get acquainted with the world before Grandma came.  So, my friend sent out a few frantic texts trying to find someone to meet her daughter off the bus and take her kids for the evening.  Lucky for her, I've SO been in that Waiting For Baby mode (and recently!), so I remember the stress of it.  I was only too happy to help.  And lucky for me, I have an AWESOME neighbor that was willing to sit with sleeping kiddos so I could shuttle my friends' kids around.

Like I said - it takes a village.  And I overcame my fear of asking for help.  Like, I was ready to wake up two sleeping girls and drag them with me and thought, "Nah.  That's stupid".  And my neighbor is always offering to help.  So maybe it was a kind gesture toward her as well?  I don't know.  I was just grateful to be able to help a friend in need!

No comments: