Saturday, October 8, 2011

Neglect



Three years ago, I would have wept at this sight.

In case you can't see what is so gut-wrenching: there, my friends, lies not one, but TWO broken harps strings. I'm not even going to out myself by mentioning how long they have been this way.

In my BC life (or "Before Children" life) these strings would have most likely broken while I was a) practicing or b) getting ready to practice. The broken strings would then have been promptly replaced, and a record of it would have been kept in my "string replacement journal" (yeah - I used to keep track of which strings would break, so I knew which ones were needing replacement most often so I could always have spares handy). In short, broken strings would NOT have gone unreplaced for more than a few hours.

Unfortunately, this beautiful creature currently isn't getting the love and attention she deserves. I look at her and long to spend time with her, but my attention is pretty divided these days. My goal is to change the strings tomorrow. And if I change them, I have to tune them. And if my harp is tuned up, I might as well strum a few chords. And if I'm strumming some chords, I could mix it up and play some arpeggios...and as long as I'm doing that, I could just go ahead and play some real music, right? Right.

I'm already feeling better about forgoing my Sunday afternoon game of fruit ninja scripture study for a little quality time with the old gal. I've missed her.

No comments: