Sunday, June 5, 2011

Foiled again!

I just sat down to finally finish documenting our vacation (that we got home from six weeks ago!!). No sooner had my backside hit the computer chair, when a siren went off via the baby monitor. Most of this post was typed with a nursing baby in my arms. And I am so ridiculously slow at blogging when pictures are involved, I just can't do it very well when the little people are awake. This is just the latest chapter in my recently entitled memoir, Why I Never Get Anything Done During the Day: Reflections of a Mother With Young Children.

I'm pretty sure kids are built with a productivity alarm - as in "Oh no! Mom is being productive! I must stop this at once by causing a major disruption!!"

It seems like every time I get my hands covered in raw chicken or get shampoo lathered on my head or sit down on the toilet, I hear weeping, wailing, and/or gnashing of teeth that need my IMMEDIATE attention. And I only have two kids. I feel pretty lame that I can't get more done.

BUT

Even if I can't cram in the "extra" things I would like to do during the day - blogging, painting, practicing (sad that this is an "extra" in my life right now), finding Thomas a pair of new church shoes, looking for a sofa so we have somewhere to sit - the kids are always fed, clothed, and relatively happy. And that is the season I am in in life right now. I am working on managing my time better so I can fit in a few "extras", but even if I've been on task all day and still haven't made a dent in the to-do list, I'm trying to remind myself that it doesn't mean the day has been a complete waste.

I kind of felt that way yesterday, but then I saw this picture of the kids


and was reminded that no day could ever be considered a waste when it has been spent taking care of their needs.

It might take me a year to paint my downstairs, and I'm trying to come to terms with that. I will never be able to log as much practice time as I did in college. And that's okay, too. There was a season for that, and that season may come back again some day.

However, Thomas really does need some shoes that fit. If I find him a pair of shoes this week, I'll consider it to have been a wildly successful week. Kind of funny how your definition of "success" changes after you have kids.

5 comments:

Erica said...

Well said, Kendall.

Eve said...

Like.

Karen said...

Two little ones is hard! As the older ones get older they become less physically reliant on you and actually can help more. Once you've mastered zone defense more kids means more bodies but some aspects are not as hard. Hang in there... some day they will grow up and move out and you will have all kinds of time to paint and practice and work on projects... and you will miss these days (or have your grand kids over - or teach kindermusik)

Cassandra said...

I heart you, Kendall : )

Beccarigg said...

I so feel you on this girl! Every mom with young kids could write that same memoir you're working on ; ) I've had more days like that than I'd like to remember. Still, it does get easier as they get older and more independent. And don't feel lame for not being able to get a "ton" done during the day. Somedays my big accomplishment is nursing the baby and feeding the girls all day. : ) Just gotta count the little victories.

This actually made me think of a blog post I wrote when I had two kids two and under. Like I said, we've all been there. Here's the link if you want to read it : ) http://taberandbecca.blogspot.com/2009/01/keep-on-paddling.html