Monday, March 22, 2010

Maine Attraction

This week we enjoyed unseasonably warm temperatures up here in New England. When Saturday rolled around, we decided it would be a good time to stay at home all day and clean....

AS IF!!

We packed the boy up and skipped town. Destination:


Maine!!!

We planned to hit the beach and check out a lighthouse. It sounds like a supercool and far away trip, but in actuality, it was only an hour away (however, it was, by our observations, still supercool).

First stop: Nubble Lighthouse

At first we couldn't find it. But we did find this (which I loved, for obvious reasons):


The lighthouse wasn't too far from this intersection. We couldn't wait to get out of the car and breathe in some of the salty sea air:




It was nice to stand on the rocks and watch the waves crash against them, but we wanted to get a little closer to the water.....

.....and that just wasn't going to happen here. A nice family told us about another beach about ten miles away in Ogunquit. Kenta didn't bring the right shoes, so I took Thomas out to sea by myself. The water was FRIGID, but it was fun being out near the ocean.

We also stuck Thomas in the sand for the first time. He wasn't quite sure what to think about it.




The only thing cuter than baby toes are baby toes covered in sand.

Being in Maine, the lobster mecca of the universe, you'd think we'd find some cool lobster shack to eat lunch in. Um...no. Not us. Kenta hates seafood (I love it), but I hate making decisions about places to eat, so we usually just go with what sounds good to Kenta and I find something that I will eat there. We ended up eating at some gas station quasi-restaurant ("Anthony's Food Store"). Super classy. Wasn't my first choice, but they gave me a turkey sandwich and gave Kenta a hot dog and a slice of cheese pizza to share with Thomas. Next time we go to Maine, I'll do a little more research on good places to eat so we don't end up at another "Food Store".

All in all, it was an awesome day. We hung out at the beach, came home with plenty of time left in the day to clean the house, have friends over to drive RC cars, go for a jog, write a talk for church, do a load of laundry, make a batch of cookies, and watch some NCAA basketball. Yes, a very productive day indeed.

I have lived for so long in a place that is completely isolated from all that is interesting and worth doing, that I feel very lucky to be up here where there are so many things to do and so many things to see. We have lots of trips planned for the future - stay tuned!

And now - for your viewing pleasure - I present to you TWO Thomas videos (which really have nothing to do with Maine, but are supercute, and therefore, worth posting):


Thomas Driving from Kenta Hood on Vimeo.



Disclaimer: Kenta didn't tell me how loud my voice would be on camera. You might need your earplugs for this one:

Daddy from Kenta Hood on Vimeo.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Love Maine! Love little boys loving to drive cars! And Love little boys who love their Daddys! Stockton LOVES trucks. He even makes the truck noise. And EVERYTHING is "Da Da." By the way, Stockton crawls that way, too! With one leg up.

Mindy Jo said...

Those shots of the Maine coast line are beautiful!!!
You HAVE to frame that!
And I agree with little feet covered in sand ... too cute!

lnkmom said...

We haven't made it to Maine yet, but we love RI! I agree that babies in the sand are too cute!

Come visit us and we will get some good seafood, living in New England you have to come to love it (I wasn't a fan before we moved here)!

Amy said...

Looks so fun. I've always wanted to go to Maine...and this makes me want to go even more. Thomas is getting so big! He is so handsome!

Beccarigg said...

What an awesome idea to hit the beach! You couldn't have picked a better day, Saturday was so gorgeous! Maine is definitely on our places to check out list this summer : ) Glad you guys had fun!

Jamie Bills said...

Beautiful pictures. What a fun day.

Tracy said...

I'm completely jealous of your new adventuring capabilities! Looks like it was fun!

Julie said...

When did you move away from norman? Or am I totalyl confused? I love your pics! So cute!

Julie said...

When did you move away from norman? Or am I totalyl confused? I love your pics! So cute!

Unknown said...

We stop here sometimes...

http://www.mainediner.com/

There are some cool antique shops in that area as well.