Sunday, March 29, 2009

American Idle

It is six o'clock on a typical evening for the neighbor Hoods. Kenta arrives home from work and is greeted by his wife, Kendall, who is sitting on the couch, and his son, Thomas, who is sitting on his wife on the couch. The faint aroma of burnt kettle korn lingers in the air. The following conversation ensues:

Kenta: Hey, honey! Wow this place is a mess, he thinks as he scans various piles of clothing strewn about the house. Uh, what have you done today?

Kendall: Uh...she quickly sifts through the brain fog that seems to be thicker than ever these days, trying to remember if she has actually done anything today....let's see..I checked my email at least twenty-eight times (while I was feeding Thomas), I watched the same NCAA tournament highlights on Sportscenter three different times (while I was feeding Thomas), watched an interseting Animal Planet show about mutant rabbits and ligers (while I was feeding Thomas)...I fed Thomas and...c'mon, I know I haven't been doing this all day! He did sleep a little...and while he was napping I took a shower, got dinner started, got laundry started, but couldn't finish it all because Thomas woke up and he was fussy. I'm so glad you're home!

Does this sound familiar to you?

Now, I'm not the poster child for "Cease to be Idle", but I swear Thomas is eating. All. the. time. And when he's not eating, he sleeps a little. But even when he's sleeping, he's thinking about eating:




(you might have to turn the volume up to hear it)


So, it's no surprise that he's always hungry (that and the fact that he seems to spit up half of what he has just consumed). And I'm the lucky one that gets to feed him.


Don't get me wrong - I love nursing Thomas - he makes the cutest little faces that Kenta never gets to see because by the time Kenta gets there, the cute face is gone. It's a special bonding time for us, too. Plus I feel good knowing that I'm giving him lots of good nutrients and antibodies.


But secretly, I also love that I do get to spend a lot of time on the couch feeding Thomas, partaking in one of my guilty pleasures - without feeling guilty at all! The guilty pleasure?


AMERICAN IDOL


I love this show. I haven't watched every season as devotedly as I have seasons 7 and 8, but thanks to youtube, I've caught up quite a bit on seasons past (youtube - something else I do while - you guessed it - feeding Thomas).


Why do I love this show so much? I guess I just have an appreciation for ordinary people with extraordinary talent. Plus, it's good, clean fun. I love hearing fresh, artistic interpretations of songs that I have known for years and years by people who lead ordinary lives as schoolteachers, waitresses, bartenders, farm girls - you name it. It kind of makes you wonder if there has been some Wal-Mart sales associate that has helped you in the past that has some hidden talent like the Idol contestants.


And I couldn't bring up American Idol without sharing some of my favorite Idol moments.


First I gotta give a shout out to our homegirl - fellow Oklahoman, Carrie Underwood. I was in Peru when she was on Idol, but thanks to my nieces, I learned who she was when I got home and have gotten to see her on Idol reruns. I love her rendition of Heart's "Alone":









I just love it with that little twang she puts in it. But my FAVORITE Idol performance was David Cook's Billie Jean last season:





I was rooting for David Archulta (he's so cute!) but I'm glad that the other David won. I'm still not sure who I am rooting for this season.

Thomas has gotten into it, too. Here he is, pumping his fist in excitement:




Last week, we both thought Allison totally rocked (I think she's currently my favorite)



And when we are not idling (or is it Idoling?) away our time, we are watching lots of NCAA basketball. My bracket royally sucks because I chose Pitt to win it all, but as of now, we can still root for the home team - which Thomas did in style:




(obviously, I made it)

So, it's a little ghetto-fabulous, but it's the best I can do with embroidery floss and absolutely no embroidery experience.

In other news, Thomas passed a milestone yesterday - he successfully completed one month of life AND slept eight hours straight. As any grateful mother would, I tried to give him a kiss:


He has already perfected the "Ew, Mo-om! You're embarrassing me!" look.


Happy one month and Boomer Sooner!


7 comments:

lnkmom said...

Oh, yes, I remember (vaguely) all those long days of endless feeding!

You are doing everything you should, so don't worry if dinner is cold cereal for the next few months (just wait until your little man is old enough to ask for cereal for dinner, it's glorious!).

PS. Thanks for your comment the other day, you are too kind!

Karen said...

I also had one who loved to nurse. Later I figured out that he would just keep nursing even after he was full and then just spit up the excess... not fun. Binkies can be a great blessing for taking care of the sucking need and reducing laundry, yours and his... He's so cute!

The Chambers said...

sometimes i feel like i am as hungry and eat as much as it sounds like Thomas does. hmm...i need to scale back a little maybe. And I LOVE AI so much, glad you got to be on "maternity leave" from mutual to enjoy it. haha, you BURNED the kettle corn. You were so excited and craving it and you BURNED it. that's funny. well thanks for another post to put a smile on my face and grace us with cute Thomas. Have a good week love!

Fife Photography said...

oh, so cute!! i love it!

Taryn said...

I'm still laughing at the video of him dreaming about eating...... that has to be one of my top fave blog posts. perfect.

Rachel said...

Oh American Idol... I so wish that I weren't completely addicted, but I am! I just can't help it! I love it so much.

I can't believe that Thomas is a month old already! I just can't wait for my little guy to get here so I can have those little moments with him.

Casey&Mal said...

Uh yes, this is the story of my life!!! It has gotten better in the past month or so as Beck has become slightly more independent...I can now do one chore before he starts screaming for me to pick him up...which, let's face it, I'd rather do.
And HELLO! Thomas eats a lot? It's because he's huge! I'd love for my baby to be as squishy as Thomas! Those cheeks!
So my idols this year, in this order: Adam Lambert, Kris Allen, Danny Gokey.Not sure which of the other two are going to be runner up, but I've picked Adam to win. He's totally my idol.
PS, I read all of this while feeding Beck.