Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thomas Kenzo Hood

The last few weeks have been full of ups and downs, but they've taught me once again, just how perfect the Lord's timing is. Just a few days ago, I was so uncertain about our baby and how/when s/he was going to be born. Thursday morning, the date that I had originally scheduled (then canceled) the c-section, came and went uneventfully. Friday was more of the same - I accompanied my last beginning ballet class at OU, went to a friends house to sew some "last minute" baby projects (thanks, Amie!), and had anothor appointment with the OB to talk about a different date for the section. She checked me and said that I was at about 1. 5 cm and still "really thick" - meaning not very effaced. She seemed pretty convinced that I wouldn't go into labor any time soon, if I went on my own at all. I still didn't know about which day I wanted to choose for the section, but the OB told me to call her back on Monday and we would make the final appointment. As it turned out, that phone call wasn't necessary. There was a very unexpected turn of events for us.

Friday was our last day working at the temple together. Kenta and I decided that in the best interest of my swelling feet, we would only stay until 7:30 and then go out on a little date for the last time as "single" parents. Little did we know that it would actually be one of the very last things we did together until the baby came.

As we were leaving the temple, I started to feel a little crampy - nothing too strong, but definitely stronger than the Braxton Hicks contractions that I had been having for months. I entertained the thought of "hey, this could be...naaaaaahh....". Of course, the logical thing to do when you think you might possibly be starting labor is call a friend and make plans to eat brunch at IHOP the following morning (Andrea - sorry! I swear I had no idea that it was "the real thing".) Anyway, so as soon as I made plans and hung up, I started having pretty regular contractions, anywhere from 5-10 minutes apart. They were bearable, but I got extremely uncomfortable sitting in the booth at Charleston's. I couldn't find a comfortable position to sit in and I started to feel a little uneasy. Kenta noticed and decided to pack his hospital bag as soon a we got home. I got a piece of paper, a pen, and a watch and started timing the contractions. They got progressively stronger through the night, but stayed mostly 5-7 minutes apart. I climbed into the bathtub on three different occasions for relief. Finally, around 5:30, I couldn't take it on my own any longer and woke Kenta up to help me. He gave me great backrubs just when I needed them and helped me through the last few hours that I had to labor. We got to the hospital a little before 8:00 a.m. Around 8:30 a.m. a nurse checked me out and said that I was 5 cm and fully effaced. I couldn't go in to the operating room for another two hours because a another lady in labor with a breech baby had walked into the hospital literally three minutes before us and was first in line. So I waited with Kenta. He was absolutely wonderful. Even though I had known the baby was breech and could have skipped over the entire labor process with a scheduled section, I am so glad that I was able to experience at least some of it. It gave me a lot of confidence in my ability to be able to deliver naturally with another baby - if the little stinker isn't breech like big brother Thomas was :)

When it was FINALLY my turn to go to the operating room, I was ready. The contractions were painful and unfortunately were doing nothing to help my labor progress since I had to have a section. The room was FREEZING cold, but I tried to focus on the positive - like the fact that they were listening to a classic rock station that was playing Led Zeppelin (my favorite band) when I was wheeled in. They separated Kenta and I for a few minutes while he got his gear on. When he came into the room I almost didn't recognize him. Until I saw his eyebrows.


Operation Retrieve Baby Hood got underway. Kenta wisely chose not to watch, so the doctors gave us the play by play: "There are the little feet...and the bum. Wow, this little guy is holding onto his momma's hips. He doesn't want to let go. What a big head!!!" They didn't really wait for the "It's a BOY!!!" moment to tell us what he was. They just started saying "his" this and "his" that - we caught on pretty quickly that we were having a little boy. But in all honesty - there is nothing little about this boy

Thomas Kenzo Hood arrived at 10:29 a.m. - about the time that I thought I would be at IHOP biting into a pancake drenched in butter pecan syrup. I was shocked when they announced that he was 9lbs. even. People had been telling me all that week that I didn't look like I was going to deliver a baby any time soon. And that whole "my husband was big, so all of our babies will be big" argument - I don't buy into that at all. Kenta was a 6 1/2 lb. baby and I was 6 lb. 14 oz. How did we end up with such a big boy? I don't know, but I do wonder what pushing out that head would have been like.

I guess that's the mystery of why baby Thomas stayed breech. He was just a very big boy that got comfy with his head and feet in the wrong place. When we tried to turn him, there just wasn't enough room. He was just supposed to come that way and I am so glad that he made it here safely. And he's so cute. I wish I could freeze time so he wouldn't get any bigger. Enough of my blabber - let's meet baby Thomas:

I hadn't seen Thomas yet at this point. Kenta's description of him was "He's a little purple with dark hair that's short on top and long in the back." My initial reaction was, "Oh my gosh. I just gave birth to an oxygen -deprived child with a mullet." I was relieved to see that Kenta's description and, consequently, my assumption were not completely accurate.

Large and in charge - our little babe was, as one nurse described, "a little sumo wrestler" - she had no idea he was 1/4 Japanese.


His ear reminded me of a certain elf...

Kenta knows I have a crush on Legolas but he wasn't concerned enough to ask for a paternity test

Father Hood

Mother Hood. I've never felt so loopy - I had just pulled my first all-nighter EVER. And those pain meds were serious stuff.


Kenta changing the first of Thomas's FOUR messy diapers in the first 24 hrs. That boy had a lot of junk in his trunk.

Cousin Kristin and Aunt Shelly come for a visit.

Not what you think. Apparently Rika had put a chocolate truffle in her pocket and forgot about it.....until Thomas warmed her lap up and melted it.

Obaachan (Grandma) with akachan (baby). Holding her second (and newest) grandson. We are so lucky to have Ojiichan and Obaachan living close by. Thomas's middle name, Kenzo, is a tribute to his Japanese heritage (and it just so happens to sound like "Enzo" as in "Enzo Ferrari" - one of his daddy's fantasy cars).

So that's our little guy. We are so happy and blessed. I keep looking at him and stroking his head and thinking "Is he really ours?" I had no idea I could love someone so much. It's amazing how your love for your spouse increases, too, when you start having children. I always suspected that Kenta would be a great dad - and my suspicions have been confirmed. Thanks to all of you that have kept us in your thoughts and prayers these past few weeks. We didn't know how it would all play out, and what happened was a far cry from what I had planned. But the end result was just what we hoped for - a beautiful, healthy, and perfect baby.

20 comments:

lnkmom said...

Congratualtions!!!!! I can't believe you are a Mommy!!! He's beautiful (and yes baby boys can be beautiful even at 9 lbs!)!

I'm so glad he is here and that all went well!!!

Joe said...

YAY! This is fantastic!. Congrats to all three of you.

Tracy said...

Oh! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you, and what a marvelous thing for you to write all this down NOW. Details, unfortunately, fade after time (don't ask me how I know this!). I'm so glad your beautiful baby arrived the way he was supposed to ... and I think I'll be buying you a bigger baby outfit. ;) Hugs!

Cassandra said...

Congratulations you guys!! I'm so excited for you. Kendall, I hope your recovery is speedy. Post lots of pictures as he grows!

Karen said...

Awesome! So glad he is here and healthy.

Mikki said...

YAAAAAY!!!! Congratulations to your new family! We're so excited for you and your healthy baby boy. Now....go get some sleep. :-)

Naomi said...

Congratulations! And good news for you, even if you never get to have a natural birth you will still love your kids more than anything! I am a little sad cause I am having our fourth and last (this will be my fourth c-section) because I have a weird body and the babies get stuck so I've never been able to have a natural birth (well I would most likely get meds though). Perhaps in the next life. Anyway like I said though, it doesn't diminish the love you feel. Congratulations to all three of you, he is a handsome boy and you look wonderful!

The Chambers said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for you I can't even being to tell you! He is a handsome little baby and you look beautiful! That's so funny that right when you were having the contractions you were calling me! If only I would have known that was going on when I was talking to you, I would have not let you...but I made it into your blog...woot! Kendall he is precious and thank you for being such a wonderful friend. I really appreciate your love. I'm glad everything went well and you are so blessed to have such a wonderful man as Kenta! I can't wait to meet him! Don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything....EVER! Love you! :)

Sharon said...

Oh Kendall, he's beautiful! Or should I say handsome! Reading your story brought back the memories of the day that Li'l Robby was born. He was a c-section because he was breech, too! Enjoy your little guy!

HMichaelsen said...

We love you guys! we are so glad everything went well! Can't wait to meet baby Thomas in July!

Melessa Gregg said...

Congratulations! I have been checking in nightly from Chicago to see if baby Hood was here yet since my usual grapevine is all back in Oklahoma and probably wouldn't have kept me informed in a timely manner.

He is SO precious. And while I'm sorry about the c-section, I think that is definitely the way to go with a nine pound baby.

Laura said...

So glad to hear the good news! Welcome, Thomas!

Amy said...

Congrats! How exciting! I'm glad things went well and that you have such a handsome boy! Yea!

Rachel said...

Ya-hooo!!!! Congrats guys! I'm so glad that everything turned out so great and that you've got a healthy (and handsome) baby boy!

Amie said...

Don't diss those elfish ears- Elliot has them, too! Thomas is a rock star and we LOVE him! Congrats again!

Jenn said...

I am so very excited for you! I'm so glad that everything went smoothly. I think you look great, despite the all-nighter. I am so happy that your baby is finally here! (And I hope you didn't get too many 0-3 month outfits...)

Casey&Mal said...

Congratulations!!!! He is absolutely precious - great job! I can't believe he is such a big boy....adorable nonetheless!

I'm excited to watch him grow-be sure to post lots of pics for us!

Congrats again!

The Webb Family said...

I'm in tears here. He is so beautiful, & I'm so happy for you and Kenta! I did push out my boys' heads..& yes they were 9 + lbs.--all 3. :) I can't wait to get ahold of you Thomas Hood!
Love you!

Batistas said...

What a hunka hunka burning love!! I am always so excited to see what the mix between two people will turn out like and as I suspected yours is a great mix!! Isn't having a new baby so sereal!! Congrats and I can't wait to see that baby wrapped liked a burrito!

amjatm said...

Congrats! We had big babies as well even though Andrew and I were not particularly big as babies. Timothy was 9 lbs 6 oz. Luckily he was #3. So pushing him out was really not a big deal, but it probably would have been if he would have been #1.