Monday, November 3, 2008

Teach Your Children Well


I've discovered an interesting phenomenon. My growing belly is increasingly attracting the attention of people who are very eager to give me unsolicited baby/parenting advice. I welcome all of it - it is our first baby, after all, so why not listen to everything? - but I also have learned to put a filter in my brain (there are deifinitely some parenting tips that I would never try). When all is said and done, however, I think Kenta and I really lucked out in the parenting department. Everything we ever needed to know about raising kids we learned (are learning and will yet learn) from our very own parents.

We happen to be the children of some expert parents. Combined, they have somehow managed to successfully raise (so far) ten college graduates - six of which have completed or are working on advanced degrees (including a medical doctor, a dentist and Masters of Psychology, Education, Enigineering , and Geophysics). Seven of their offspring are return missionaries, and twelve (so far) have been sealed in the temple. Considering their ages span from forty to (almost) twenty, we are amazed when we think about all our parents were able to accomplish. How did we survive childhood, high school and beyond, relatively unscathed by a society with deteriorating morals? How did they keep us from killing each other (or keep themselves from killing us)? I really have no idea. They are just normal people who started out like all other young couples:


Okay...maybe Kenta's parents aren't really the norm. My parents are fairly "normal", but I unfortunately don't have a picture of their wedding to show you.

After a few years of marriage, our parents found themselves in fairly similar circumstances:

That's Kenta on the right, by the way, and his sister, Ami, on the left

This is my Mom and Dad (circa 1972) with Doug and Shelly - long before I was ever a gleam in their eyes.



Eventually, their families were complete:


Hoods, 2004


Michaelsens, 1989 (probably the last time we had familiy pictures taken that were NOT at a wedding - and I'm the super-cute one with the blue dress and pink bow on the front row)

One by one, their children have left home, (hopefully) taking with them all of the principles and values that they tried so hard to teach. It's been fun to watch our siblings become parents themselves and to see them doing the same things that our parents did with us - even the stuff we *swore* we would never do. Like make our kids walk to school if they woke up late, skipped seminary, and missed their ride (Shelly, Mom would be so proud of you for doing that). In fact, I find myself doing things everyday and thinking, "ohmygosh...I'm turning into my mother!" But I'm okay with that - you saw the pictures. She's one foxy lady:)

So when times get tough and I think I'm at my wits' end with the kids, I know I have two very capable, wise, and experienced mothers I can turn to (among all the other sisters, in-laws, and friends).

There you have it. Our parents are basically amazing. Am I bragging too much? Oh, well. I don't have any kids to brag about yet, and our parents brag about us, so why not return the favor? They've survived parenthood and are now reaping the spoils (i.e. grandkids).



Hoods, March 2008

Michaelsens, June 2006 (three grandsons have been born since then - and, of course, more on the way!)


And if you still don't believe our parents are great, just ask one of their other (collective) fourteen children. Or twenty-five grand children. I'm sure most of them would agree :).

But please don't let that stop you from passing along your parenting tips. Our parents weren't perfect, by any means - and like I said, we are very open to creative ways to teach kids. In fact we found this little gem on the internet. (you will probably have scroll down to the bottom of the page to turn the music off first



Sorry :). I couldn't resist. It cracks me up every time and it seemed appropriate for this post. But I promise that I really won't take advice from a cartoon dressed in a Mexican wrestling suit. That's what the brain filter is for, remember?

2 comments:

Batistas said...

What a great post. Parents have such an impact whether for good or bad! I hope that I can be half as great of a mom as my own. Diego and I were cracking up at the childrens book because Diego always changes things when he reads to the kids! Lauryn always gets really mad, but the others think that it is funny. I have no doubt watching you with other kids in primary and around church how great of parents you guys will be, although it does change things when the child is your own. At least for me my patience is much shorter with my own!

Mallory said...

I somehow totally forgot about Homestarrunner.com.....thank you for the reminder! I don't know Kenta's parents, but as for yours, I can say that they are fantastic!!! And that Soren will someday look exactly like your dad.