Sunday, May 8, 2011

I do not understand boys - #3

It's Mother's Day, so I should really devote this entire post to recounting the awesome ways in which I was pampered by my family. I'll get to that. But first, I must recount a troubling conversation before church today:

Kenta is super-helpful on Sunday mornings getting the kids ready so we can get to church on time. We usually go Splitsville on getting the kids dressed and fed: I take Abigail and he takes Thomas. I had forgotten to iron Thomas's church shirt last night, so I was frantically doing that this morning while Kenta was getting the rest of Thomas's clothes on. The iron had some red junk on it (I have no idea where it came from - maybe some red fabric that I ironed last week?) that got all over the sleeve of Thomas's clean white shirt. It looked like crayon. I tried washing it off and ironing it again, placing another piece of cloth between the shirt and the iron so it wouldn't rub more red on it. The addition of an extra layer did not help with drying the wet sleeve up, but we were almost running late, so I just tossed the shirt to Kenta, told him it was a little wet, and ran upstairs to fix my hair. Twenty seconds later I hear this:

"Kendall?"

Me - "Yes?"

Kenta - "Can I stick it in the microwave?"

Me - "Stick wh----" *immediately realize he is talking about Thomas's shirt, throw down my hair straightener, and race to the top of the stairs* "NoooooOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

Kenta - "Uh. Okay. Sorry. It's just really wet."

Me - "Ack! Don't stick clothes in the microwave! Use the blow dryer instead!"

Kenta - "Well, I thought it would just help the water evaporate more quickly...."

Me - *imagining the buttons on Thomas's shirt melting in the microwave before the whole things goes up in flames* "Okay, maybe the microwave might work, but I've never heard of microwaving clothes before, so let's not do that. Here's the blowdryer."

Crisis averted....or not?

Now that I've had a few more hours to process this event, I'm really wondering: is it safe to microwave clothes? Has the male species taught me a more efficient way to dry clothing in a pinch? All these years I have been using my blowdryer...should I have been using a microwave instead? Anyone have experience microwaving clothes? How did it turn out?

7 comments:

Amie said...

Please don't try that one at home! I can't imagine the trouble that could come from those buttons exploding. But it would be a fun experiment....buy a cheap micro from a yard sale and give it a go. You could always save the "leftover" oven for Thomas to take apart. Report later- I'm now curious.

Lorie said...

I can't remember for the life of me who does that all the time. It works like a charm. Why in the world would buttons explode? Do you put tupperware In the micro, it's just plastic. Maybe try it on a cheaper shirt, but I doubt any harm will come to the microwave. Then again you have a spare microwave in the mancave basement, so experiment. Now it's going to bug me trying to figure out who does this, I think it was a mission story maybe. Kaddiz perhaps...arg

Banana Moon Studio said...

Hmmm, never heard of microwaving clothes. I too would go with the blow-dryer.

Mallory said...

Well Kramer liked to put his clothes in the oven to dry them...and make them toasty....but if I remember correctly, that didn't end well.
Microwave??? Why not? Boys are silly.

Ami said...

Whoa, I have to post a comment even though I don't have an answer because the previous poster has MY name in HER name! It is kind of freaking me out.
I did a quick Google search, which indicated a lot of possible risks and the likelihood that the microwave will get it very hot but not dry, since microwaves don't have airflow. So blow dryer is probably a better way to go, though you make need to expressly forbid Kenta or else he'll probably try it. I probably would.

Rika Burr said...

i would just stick with the blow dryer cause it will just make it hot.

Beccarigg said...

I usually go with the blow drier. I know we eat radio active food but radio active clothing? That just seems like crossing the line... ; )