Sunday, January 11, 2009

Turn, Baby, Turn


Life has been pretty quiet around here. School hasn't started yet, the baby is still safely incubating in my tummy, no ice storms to report on... I've been getting a lot of questions about how the pregnancy is going. At 33 weeks, I feel great! I go on long walks every day. I've discovered that sugar gives me terrible acid reflux, so I've cut way back on that. My midwife says that my weight is on track and I'm measuring right where I should be. There's just one minor glitch in the pregnancy.

The little dude(ette) refuses to turn!

At my 28 week appointment, I was almost positive that the baby was heads up. My midwife confirmed that and assigned an exercise for me to do over the holidays. I did pretty well for about a week. Then we were up at the Hoods' for two weeks, and I just would have really felt awkward doing this at their house with a bunch of people around. Believe me you would, too. It's really not all that complicated. All you need is:



an ironing board



a pillow



something cold from the freezer (I prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts - they don't thaw as quickly as ground beef)



Some easy listening (for the baby)



Some light reading (for me)



And a lovely (er...handsome) assistant. (DO NOT try this by yourself - you'll get stuck)




Put it together and what have you got?

One awkward looking woman trying to get her baby to turn



*Kids, do not try this at home. Also, do not try this after consuming a Grande Hazelnut Hot Chocolate from Starbucks (unless you want to be up all night with the worst heart burn of your life).


The philosphy behind this set up is that the gravitational pull will cause the baby to want to move its head towards your feet. The ice pack is placed on the spot where the baby's head is to make it want to move away from the cold. The earphones (you cannot see them) are on my lower abdomen, to encourage the baby to move towards the sound. The pillow is supposed to make this set up more comfortable. The book is to distract me for ten minutes while I feel like all of my internal organs are creeping up my throat.


Now that I am back at home, I have been doing this diligently twice a day. Kenta has been gracious enough to help me get on and off of the ironing board - not an easy task. I will be amazed if our ironing board survives this trauma without a permanent dent of some sort. So far, I feel a lot of movement, but I'm afraid the baby's head is still jammed into my ribs. No need to panic yet - I've still got plenty of time to try to encourage the baby to go bottoms up. I'm hopeful that this exercise will actually work and isn't some sort of "old midwives'" tale. We'll keep you posted!

11 comments:

Amie said...

Wow! I really hope all that time spent elevated will not only flip the little babe, but will ease any ankle swelling. I do have to ask- are you getting "bored" yet? HaHA!

The Chambers said...

looks fun and relaxing. I think I might try it...anything to get out of everything I have to do is great.

Ashley said...

Kendall,
Hi! I haven’t seen you guys in a while but we happened on to your blog a while back by Blog hopping other friends blogs…so any how I’ve been checking in to see how you guys are doing. Reading this post made me laugh sooo much…I LOVE a good laugh. We are expecting our 3rd baby about 4 weeks ahead of you and luckily for us I’m sure it’s his heals jabbing me in my ribs! Good luck with that little one, I sure hope that baby turns for both of your sakes! Also, maybe you should register for a new ironing board as well :)Congratulations! From all of us, Ashley, Cody, Addelynn, Thomas and Baby Samuel Adams

Jamie said...

I love that you always comment on my blog. I know I have at least one reader!

My friend did the Bradley method and she said it was the greatest thing ever. She loved natural childbirth so I hope it goes equally well for you. My mother-in-law mentioned the upside downness to help the baby turn. I'm sure he will, Josie didn't turn until about 35 weeks, if I remember right (which I may not).

Jamie said...

PS: I lived with Tums within arms reach at all times during my pregnancy. The heartburn vanishes after you have the baby. It's nice.

Mallory said...

The walking will also help with the turning :) You're doing great! Also, instead of sitting to read or watch tv, etc, stand with feet hips width apart and rock back and forth. My baby turned when I took on a (stationary) bicycle routine for a few weeks...Lots of rocking...but don't worry, you'll get there!!!!

The Webb Family said...

Ha! Kendell! This is quite the trick. Thanks for sharing it was funny. Especially not trying with the Grande Hot Cocoa! You guys are just too cute! I hope it works!! LOVE ya!

Rachel said...

Holy Moly! That is ... amazing. It takes talent to actually do that "exercise"... I just hope and pray that I will not have to go through the same thing.

Mikki said...

*gasp! I didn't know you and Kenta are using a doula and doing the Bradley method!! Joe and I definitely want to go the doula route and have our first kiddo at home when the time comes. I'm so excited for you and Kenta!!! I may cloud you with questions when I've got one baking in the oven... :-)

Karen said...

Good luck with the turning. Natural is an awesome way to have a baby. Looks like your midwife is on top of things. Loved the music too. Glad to see things are going well with you.

Julie said...

Wow! Kendall I had no idea you are going through a midwife! You are so brave. I had people try and talk me into it but I have to have the meds to ge tme through it:) LOL I am sure that baby will get right in to position when it is time!