Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Turkey Bowl MMVIII

I should have put this post up like a week ago, but we've been really busy, so I'm putting up two posts today (don't miss this one). I made two trips to Weatherford last week and a trip to Ft. Smith this weekend for harp stuff. Kenta has been super busy with final projects and presentations. I don't think he got to bed before 2:00 a.m. this entire week. I warned him during Thanksgiving that he needed to get some work done, or he would be severely regretting it (man, I sound like my mom). He decided to play during the break and pay for the consequences. Not that I blame him - if I was still in school, I wouldn't want to be doing schoolwork while there was family in town and fun to be had.

My take (Kenta): This is the biggest moment of the year for the older guys...the chance to beat out the young men in a game of touch/flag football Thanksgiving morning while the women stay home to make the majority of the meal, partly because it's usually really cold outside and only the men would be silly enough to be out in that weather voluntarily. It was a great tradition I've been a part of and growing up, it's been a toss up as to who won the game. Sometimes we won and sometimes, the geezers won. Sadly, I play on the geezer team now. I say geezer because we're all getting older and just can't take intense physical activity like we used to. Every practice we had this year, someone was hobbling home because we're all out of shape and most of us were so sore during church the next day, we had to lift our legs with our hands just to get in or out of the car. So yeah, we're getting old. Anyway, the game was a lot of fun. Only one person got hurt and they had to go to the hospital to get stitches in their lip. He happened to be a wrestler for OU and wrestled that night. I doubt his coach was happy. Everyone else was okay fortunately.I didn't fair so well in how I played. I guess you could say I was covering the Michael Crabtree of the young men's team. I could keep up with him just fine and could catch him if he got past me but I just had a hard time because he was so shifty as you will see. Some of it was me not knowing what I was doing either but I still did what I could. Kendall took some good video of all the action and even if I wasn't playing like Derrick Strait, I left it in there. You could say our defense was like Missouri's....not very good for the most part.The boys ended up winning 6-5 but we came within 3 yards or so. If only we had about 5 more seconds. It was very exciting.
Before you watch this (this is Kendall again) I just want to warn you - I threw down an innocent "crap" in the middle of my color commentary...if that word offends you, or if you don't want your kids to hear it, you've been warned. I didn't realize how often that word slips into my vocabulary until Sunday, when I threw it AUDIBLY into the middle of the YW theme while reciting it with the girls (I had a reason - I missed that new line that they added a few years ago - it gets me every time). Enjoy!


Turkey Bowl 2008 from Kenta Hood on Vimeo.

3 comments:

The Webb Family said...

It was great getting caught up with the goings on in the Hood life. PLUUEEAASSEE! Don't worry about throwing down the word "crap" you've been around my 3boys right?! :) Love ya!

Ami said...

For some reason I kept thinking some other guy was Kenta. I am ashamed to not recognize my own brother.

Steph said...

Abe yells at us when we say "crap". That means we can't let him watch your video. Thanks a lot, Kendall.