Monday, July 28, 2008

Eggs-periment

* having the volume on will greatly enhance your experience of reading this post

It's been really hot here. Really, really hot. The kind of hot that makes swimming off-limits. So, what do you do when it's hot outside? I read a story about what one lady does. Then I decided try it out for it myself.

I had to wait for the "perfect" conditions. It only took a few weeks until my wish was fulfilled:



Sucks to live in Lawton


Holy hot, Batman! It's hot enough to fry eggs on a sidewalk...or bake cookies...on your dashboard? Seemed like a pretty good idea to me. So at approxomately 10:00 a.m., I set a tray of cookies on the dashboard of our minivan:


They baked...

...and baked...


...and baked...


When Kenta (my hunk of burnin' love) got home from work at 5:00 p.m., he was gracious enough to sample them for me.

They actually cooked all the way through! They had a very interesting texture, though. Crunchy on the outside and really chewy on the inside.


Before we took the cookies out, Kenta took the temperature in the car - it was 137.8 degrees. By merely using the energy of the sun, we got a dozen freshly baked cookies in seven hours. And we will never need little artificial floral smelling rubber feet hanging from our rearview mirror - the natural scent of baking cookies has now permeated every fiber of our minivan. How green of us. Al Gore would be proud.

That's what we do when it's hot outside. What do you do?

13 comments:

Bruthahood said...

I'm embarrassed that Al Gore made it onto our blog. Time to go run the lawn mower for no reason until the gas runs out. Then I'll fill it back up and let it sit again for several more hours.
I think baking cookies outside in the car is a better idea since it keeps our oven off which in turn keeps our house from getting hot which in turn keeps our electric bill lower meaning we don't have to pay as much each month when OG&E sends us a bill...

The Webb Family said...

Well, Betty Crocker (the cookies look great by the way)--We Webbs just go shopping! We went to get school supplies today and shoes! Woo-Hoo! Or we just stay holed up in our house with the air on 72. :)
Your blog is just too cute..you have some really great ideas..you just totally fascinate me Sistahood!

Steph said...

So can you mail me some of those cookies? The high in Boulder today was only in the 80s, so I don't think I'll be able to do that in our car. Thanks!

Mindy Jo said...

Holy Cow! What a flippin' good idea! Is it strange that I am SO excited now to try???? :)

Jamie said...

Way to go green Kendall! Loved the musical accompaniment.

Victoria and Mark said...

I love Al Gore and I love your cookies! That is so cooool

Ami said...

Mmm...sunbaked cookies. What do I do in the summer time? I fish in a stream or lazily dream on the bank as the clouds go by.

Amie said...

Please tell me you did not really eat these! I'm really at a loss for words...that was hilarious.
What do Searcy's do when it's hot outside? We turn our place into a bat cave and try to see how long we can go without turning the AC on, then we run to the mountains!

seguito said...

hi kentall. what a riot your blog is...witty and informative! it's laugh out loud fun every time.
i just started up a blog that's supposed to be chronicling my Alaskan experience but it's pretty pathetic so far. it'll get going but in the meantime, try not to judge to harshly. check it out and stay informed.
segofam.blogspot.com
you guys look good and happy!
mitch sego

seguito said...

yo kentall!
your blog is a riot! it's laugh-out-loud fun every single time! don't stop anytime soon or my world might crumble to pieces. it's my daily dose of good, solid humor.
i recently started a far less humorous blog (it's a work in progress still) but it gives you some idea of my work and Alaska's glory.
check it out:
segofam.blogspot.com
see ya.
mitch sego

Taryn said...

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!!! COOKIES IN THE CAR...... "SWEET NIBLETS BATMAN", NO MORE STALE VAN SMELL. WHO KNEW?
I AM SOOOOOO TRYING THAT WHEN I GET HOME! DONOVANS VAN SMELLS LIKE AIRPORT. NOW IT WILL SMELL LIKE SNICKERDOODLES!!!
THANK YOU KENTALL.... I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Batistas said...

O.k. Kendall as I was reading and looking at the pics the first thing that came to my mind was.."Amie Searcy would die if she knew you ate those. Ever heard of salmonella?" Sure enough what does Amie´s comment say? You are hillarious I think you have too much time on your hands. Shouldn´t you be with your sister helping her clean my house?!

Sharon said...

I had to laugh because we tried this last summer in AZ. Only we did an egg, and I was not nearly as patient as you were. Seven hours?! I should have done cookies. Too bad I live in Indiana now and can't try it again. We even achieved a temp of 185 degrees F in our car!

If you want to see our experiment from last year you can use this link and watch our video:

http://robertandsharon.blogspot.com/2007/08/great-eggs-periment.html